Note: These setup instructions from Google are for Apple devices running software version 4.0.
To configure the ‘Mail’ app on an Apple device for access to Gmail, just follow these steps:
- Make sure you’ve enabled IMAP in your main Gmail settings
- Open the Settings app on your device
- Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Tap Add Account…
- Tap Gmail
- Enter your account information, being sure to use your full Gmail address, including ‘@gmail.com’
- Tap Next
- Tap Save
And you’re done. You can add additional Gmail accounts by repeating the same steps above.
You can retrieve your Gmail messages with a client or device that supports IMAP, like Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail.
To enable IMAP1 in Gmail:
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable IMAP.
- Configure your IMAP client and click Save Changes.