Excel has a Camera tool that gives you the ability to select a range of cells and make a live picture that can be place anywhere in your workbook. The picture does not have to fit into worksheet row/columns, a great help in building dashboard reports. Since it’s a live picture, any changes to the source range are automatically updated in the picture. The Camera tool can significantly increase your Excel dashboard quality quickly and easily.
Adding Camera Tool Icon to Toolbar
The Camera Tool button does not show up on any default toolbars, so you will need perform a few simple steps to add it yourself.
- elect View > Toolbars > Customize
- Select Command Tab, On the Customize dialog
- Scroll down to the Camera Icon
- Drag the Camera icon to your target toolbar
You now are ready to start using this powerful tool.
Using the Camera Tool
To make a live Camera picture of a source range:
- Select a range to take your picture
- Press Camera Icon, a + cursor appears
- Move to destination location
- Click mouse, live linked picture will be immediately placed at destination location
- Move, manipulate your live picture as desired
Since your picture is live, any changes (data, format, formulas) in source cells will immediately appear in your picture.
Since your copy is a picture, you can move it anywhere you want, it floats over the rows/columns. This let’s you be creative, mix and match charts and data pictures more freely than you ever could with just rows and columns.