Excel does not increment a number each time you add a new row of data. Beginning with Excel 2007, you can use the Row function to add your own autonumbering to a data list.
Let’s say you are creating a list of all of products and their prices. Follow these steps to add your own autonumbering for the list:
- In A1, enter this formula: =TEXT(Row(A1),”000-000″)
- Enter the name of the first product in B1.
- Enter the price of the first product in C1.
- Copy cell A1 to A2.
- Enter the name of the second product in B2.
- Enter the price of the second product in C2.
- Select A1:C2.
- Go to Data | List and select Create List. (Press [Ctrl]T, then click OK in Excel 2007.)
Now when you type the name of the next product in B3 and press [Tab], Excel will automatically fill in the next number for you.